The Church of Saint Barbara

maltese english


Following a dream, Giuseppe Valerio Abela donated a plot of land in Kalkara to the Capuchin Friars to build a Church and Convent. On 18th June 1736 the first stone was blessed by Archbishop Mons. Paul Alphéran de Bussan. Both buildings were designed by Fra Giuseppe, Capuchin, and financed through collections including donations from Grand Master António Manoel de Vilhena. The Church and Convent were inaugurated and blessed on 2nd August 1743. The Church is dedicated to Saint Barbara and was consecrated on 18th June 1747.

It hosts various artifacts including the perspective of the high altar (Francesco Carapecchia, 1743) and the painting of Saint Barbara (Agostino Masucci, 1739). On 17th September 1752 the holy relics of the martyr Saint Liberata were brought from Rome. In the Church we also find special devotion towards Saint Jude Thaddeus.