Prior to 1487 a Church dedicated to Our Saviour was built on the Rinella peninsula. Pastoral visits reveal the command by Grand Master Jean Parisot de La Valette for its demolition during the Great Siege of 1565 so as not to serve as shield for the Ottoman army. In 1580 the Church was rebuilt by Claudio Abela and Davidde Burlò. In 1676 Bailiff Fra Giovanni Bichi, victim of the plague, was buried inside it. Hence, in 1680 his nephew Fra Mario Bichi demolished and rebuilt this Church on Lorenzo Gafà’s design.
He erected a monument in memory of Fra Giovanni Bichi, while the titular painting depicting Our Saviour was painted by Mattia Preti. This was stolen in 1798 during the French blockade. The feast was celebrated annually on the 6th of August with the distribution of bread known as għażżiela. Extensive restoration works were completed in March 2009, while a new titular painting work of art by Paolo Camilleri Cauchi was inaugurated by Mons. Joseph Galea-Curmi, Auxiliary Bishop of Malta on Sunday 6th August 2023 on the feast of Our Savior .